on the margins : the city 2
Vienna in Private Films
Phase 2: Per-Albin-Hansson Siedlung and Großfeldsiedlung
The project On the Margins : The City goes into a second round in 2019. Our goal remains to collect, show and preserve private films and videos that literally or metaphorically depict the city of Vienna on/from the margins. Under the artistic direction of Gustav Deutsch and Hanna Schimek, the project addresses the following questions:
- Clichés and representative images aside, how do inhabitants see their city?
- How is Vienna appraised on and from the margins?
- How do these perspectives on the city show in older and contemporary private films?
- How do different generations see the city?
- What kind of image do people of different origins have of the city?
We are looking for private films made during the past decades as well as more recent film recordings of Vienna in both analog and digital formats: moving images of everyday situations and special moments, of spare time and activism, of political events and working life.
These precious film documents need to be preserved for future generations. They will be treated as subjects of research and systematic archiving in accordance with their filmic, political and social aspects.
Bring your films to the Austrian Film Museum!
Analog formats we are looking for: 8mm films, Super 8mm, videos
Digital formats we are looking for: films shot on cell phones, social media uploads